Partnering with Missionaries
When They are in their area of service:
- Ask to receive updates and prayer requests.
- Send birthday and holiday cards.
- Email short notes of encouragement.
- Send a care package (recent magazines, copies of popular TVshows/movies, peanut butter!).
- Get a list of their “favorites” or “things they miss most from the U.S.” and send these to them periodically.
- Include them on the Small Group’s e-mail mailing list. Missionaries like to keep informed on what you are doing as well.
- Have members of your Small Group sign up for Skype (www.skype.com), and talk to your missionary computer-to-computer for free.
- Two times a year set aside a Small Group meeting to pray exclusively for your missionary (their spiritual vitality, family life, ministry needs, etc.) Provide a subscription to a magazine (news, a hobby of theirs, children’s magazine, etc.
- Share good books you have read.
- Send them a book or a worship CD on their birthday.
- Consider visiting your missionary.
When they are in the Northern Virginia area:
- Have them stay in the home of someone from the Small Group. Invite them to attend your Small Group.
- If they are living in the area while on furlough, encourage them to attend on a regular basis.
- Have them share at least one or two times about their ministry in depth. After that, allow them to become a normal member of your Small Group for the rest of their time in the area.