October 2, 2018
By Tom Oostdyk
Our conference theme this year is “He is Worthy” (see Revelation 5:9). And Jesus is. More worthy than even football. Now, rest assured my aim is not to undermine this great American sport. My aim is to challenge you to see why Mission’s Conference matters more than football, and give you plenty of reasons to rearrange your week to make room for these important church family events.
Our conference this year begins on Wednesday, October 17 and extends through Sunday, October 21. During these five days we have a family event, intimate dessert nights, breakfast, brunch, a special worship service, visits in Sunday classes, and a church-wide family meal—lots to choose from!
No time in your schedule? Got things already planned? I present you with seven reasons for why you should find a way to participate:
- You will hear about gospel work in Central Asia, East Asia, and North Africa. Let God expand your vision to the growth of the Church in challenging parts of the world. He is mighty!
- You will have the opportunity to meet members of our missionary family. This is my family’s favorite part of conference. Every year we come to know a new missionary. When we see pictures or hear names later, we know their story and can pray specifically.
- You will teach your kids that missions is a priority. You may even help plant the seed that eventually causes them to serve God in a country with no access to the Bible or Christians.
- Our joyful participation communicates that we love these brothers and sisters. We want to hear from them, to understand the challenges they face, to celebrate God’s enduring work through them.
- You will encourage the global Church as you send our missionaries back to the field encouraged and built up in love.
- You will be encouraged in your own evangelism as you observe the risks these Christians take to share the gospel and plant churches. You will also be encouraged in your role as a sender. Sending is about more than financial partnership.
- This is eternal work that will last forever.
We rearrange our schedules for things we consider priorities. This conference is a weighty, substantive investment. Join us and meaningfully participate this year!