March 19, 2019
By Steve King
In Sunday’s sermon on anxiety, I shared with you three things to remember when you feel worried: consider God’s providence, count on God’s goodness, and cling to God’s promises. If you are in Christ, you have the Holy Spirit to help you internalize these truths and replace that anxiety with peace.
During our preparation for transition in our church leadership, we will be facing uncertainty and the tendency to worry. We need to lean hard on the Holy Spirit when we experience any internal uneasiness.
We are also in the season leading up to Easter, when we should be focusing externally on those who need to know Christ. This is the time to be praying for who to invite to church with you on Easter, or who may need to know the good news of what the holiday means.
Given all that we are going through and have coming up, I invite you to join me in reviewing the work of the Holy Spirit:
- Convicts of sin, righteous and judgment (John 16:7-11)
- Glorifies Jesus Christ (John 16:14)
- Regenerates us (Titus 3:5; John 3:5, 8)
- Baptized with (1 Corinthians 12:13)
- Sealed with (Ephesians 1:13; 4:30)
- Indwelt with (1 Cor 6:19-20)
- Anointed with (1 John 2:20, 27)
- Gives assurance of salvation (Romans 8:14-16)
- Fills, controls, and empowers us (Eph 5:17-21)
- Leads us (Rom 8:14)
- Imparts spiritual gifts to us (1 Cor 12:7,11)
- Illuminates Scriptures to the believer (John 14:26; 16:12-15; 1 Cor 2:12-16; 1 John 2:20, 27)
- Intercedes for us (Rom 8:26)
- Produces Christ-like character in us (John 7:38-39; Galatians 5:22-23)
- Gives us the power to love (Rom 5:5)
- Sanctifies us (1 Peter 1:2)
- Transforms us into the image of Jesus (2 Cor 3:18; 1 Cor 6:11)
- Empowers us to witness of Christ (Acts 1:8)
- Comforts and counsels us (John 14:16; 2 Cor 1:3-5)
- Will raise and transform our bodies (Rom 8:11)
The Holy Spirit is God, third person of the Trinity, and your source of power in the Christian life. Daily review His divine “job description,” which covers every aspect of your life. Learn to cooperate with the Holy Spirit who is on duty constantly and eager to empower you. And let’s daily yield our lives to His gracious control.