March 13, 2020
We wanted to update you on Cherrydale’s response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation.
First, we have decided to forgo meeting together in person this Sunday, Mar. 15 and next Sunday, Mar. 22. In addition, our Members Gathering on Mar. 15 will be cancelled. We will make a determination regarding other Cherrydale ministry gatherings early next week. Check our website for updates.
This comes at the encouragement of local and state governments who have asked for our help to limit larger public gatherings in order to mitigate the spread of the virus. We want to be responsive during this situation and be easy to lead. Our cooperation and thoughtful engagement are important.
So, our plan is to livestream one worship service online at 11:00 am the next two Sundays. Please plan on joining us!
To join us online on Sunday morning, Mar. 15 at 11:00 am:
- Click on this link: https://zoom.us/j/383197272
- Your computer or phone should automatically download the Zoom application. If not, you can manually download it here, or you will have the option of joining from your web browser page. (We recommend using the application, which will help it run better.)
- Before you can watch the service, you will be prompted to enter your name and email address. Then, click “join webinar”.
- You will see a “raise hand” and a “chat” function once you have accessed the livestream. We will not be using those functions during the service.
Handouts for Sunday’s Sermon
- Bulletin/Order of Service
- Worship Song Lyrics
- Sermon Slides
- Children’s Lesson and Coloring Page [As a reminder, because of the adult-oriented nature of the passage this week (Gen. 19), we encourage families to have their children not listen to the sermon.]
Second, we want to anchor ourselves to God’s sovereignty. He is powerfully in control of this situation. He is not panicked. Quite to the contrary, He’s confidently moving forward with His kingdom purposes. And so, let’s join Him. We will not shrink back in fear from the hope of the gospel nor our mission to make disciples. In our homes, neighborhoods, offices, and nation we will surge forward with the only hope for our world: reconciliation to God in Christ. Our neighbors and communities continue to need this hope. Let the peace of Christ continue to dwell richly in our hearts!
“Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him,
on those who hope in his steadfast love,
that he may deliver their soul from death
and keep them alive in famine.
Our soul waits for the LORD;
he is our help and our shield.
For our heart is glad in him,
because we trust in his holy name.
Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us,
even as we hope in you” (Psalm 33:18-22).
Third, we have been so encouraged by your response as a church family. We have received emails and calls throughout the week from many of you who are eager to pray and to practically help each other. Praise God! Please do pray for and reach out to those in our congregation who may need to stay home for a period of time. These include the elderly, those whose immune systems may be suppressed, and anyone else who may need additional prayer and support, such as single parent families.
We will continue to prayerfully monitor the situation. Please visit the homepage of our website where you will find the link to our COVID-19 page with the current information on Cherrydale’s response.
Remember, there is no virus, no change of plans, nothing that can ever separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus:
“For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom. 8:38-39).
Together on mission with Christ,
Cherrydale Baptist Church
3910 Lorcom Lane
Arlington, VA 22207
Making Disciples Who Love God and People Above All Else